Monday, February 18, 2008

Chinese New Year, part 1 - I can see Chinatown!



I can see Chinatown through the windshield!

We passed a Shaolin school as we approached our parking space. The loud amount of drumming eminating from the school hinted that final rehearsals were taking place. We were the first to arrive at the gate. There would be two other friends that would meet us there shortly. A couple of cell calls later, I learned that everyone else was on their way. Normally, I would be patient and wait but.....it was cold. A relatively moderate day (38 F) was forecasted. As of this early hour, unfortunately, it was about...17 F. We made a quick walk up and down Beach street. While the walk did wonders to keep me warm overall, I could feel my feet starting to go numb. My colleague seemed to be shivering a bit, but denied the weather was bothering him. Unfortunately, neither one of us brought digis.

My companion is my newest colleague...a bright young man that my employer recruited away from one of our partners in the heartland. He really wanted to see the celebrations, and I was happy to have him along. He has a wonderful appreciation and perspective of Asian culture...his gf has been teaching abroad for a few months, and he has been able to take a couple of trips to visit her. With return date approaching in a few days, my colleague was in a jovial mood...anticipating the chance to share the sites of his new city with her. This was his first trip in to the city since moving here a few days ago...and what better way to celebrate?

The gate on Beach street, as seen from inside Chinatown


We returned to the gate. No one there. We were getting colder...so we slipped in to Hing Shing Pastry hoping to purchase some hot tea. One of the workers smiled hello to us. We wished them a good morning, they said good morning back. Despite the presence of some tasty delights in their showcase it soon seemed clear that they weren't really open and ready for business...however, the kind folks made no effort to kick us out.

After a few minutes of absorbing their heat, we decided to venture back outside. It wasn't long before we met up with the other two. Dim sum was suggested, we all agreed to it. We sat down for a wonderful meal. The conversation drifted about, mostly hovering on subject of martial arts...perhaps to the chagrin of my colleague, who doesn't practice the arts. Nonetheless, he seemed to be a good sport about it.

After a very good meal, we shifted outside, just in time to find a good spot within 30 feet of the the stage.

No comments: