Thursday, March 13, 2008

Teenage atheists, and organic produce

Originally, I had met him through a business networking group. He was a very bright, ambitious young man, JT. He had an idea for a part-time web business and needed some help understanding databases. I gave him tips and pointers when I could, and in the processed learned that JT was a talkative young lad.

I unexpectedly met up again...at Whole Foods. He was his usual talkative self, and decided to gab a bit about how he now digs organic veggies. It seemed like a a perfectly normal thing to do at Whole Foods, and on an icy cold day like today, the company was welcome. Even when the company involves listening to a young person with a looping, teenage conversation style.

In some ways, talking with JT showed us how much we were alike...but it also underscored our differences. JT was not long out of high school, I'm nearly 40. He was rebelling from an extremely devout religious family, I was happy with with my own place in the universe. He was originally from the Bible Belt, I was born and raised in the Northeast. He loathed the idea of college, I was enrolled at UMass for the umpteenth time.

"I'm an atheist", JT said. There was something about his tone that smacked of posture. He paused, presumably waiting for a reaction from me. Perhaps he suspected that I would be shocked. Perhaps he expected something of a judgmental nature. I wasn't up for either.

"Hi there Athiest, I'm Freezing My Butt Off. Nice to meet you." I quipped.

"Cute," JT responded. "Real cute."

"So what kind of atheist are you, JT?" I asked. My question was met with confusion.

"Well you know...some atheists get on a rampage about people that are believers. Others could care less. Which one are you?"

Silence.

He talked a bit. He spoke of rejection from the community. He stressed being brought up in a culture that highly respects parents, only to find that "respect" meant not having an adult disagreement. He mentions a childhood friend back home that no longer speaks with him because he hasn't accepted Jesus. He spoke of people that say one thing and do another. And so on, and so forth...and then he said...

"Some people say their life got better when they found religion. I say, good for them. Mine got better when I divorced my god."

This time, I'm the one silent.

2 comments:

Da'Moose said...

A wise friend once told me "Everyone comes into your life for a purpose". Perhaps to be a guide, a place to rest for a moment, or maybe just a warning. Who knows.

Think about those choices as well, when you choose your acquaintances.

Carol said...

Deep comment, Moose, thanks. Its great to hear from you :)